Tuesday 5 August 2014

Hummus!!! Lime Navy Hummus!

Given my blog title, you would reasonably expect hummus to make an appearance at some point.  And those who see my meals each day at the clinic where I do my Master's research can attest that a day rarely goes by when my favourite food is absent.  But it has already been almost a week, and so far there is no hummus to be found!  This shall be remedied presently. :)

Technically, hummus is made with chickpeas, but there are so many types of legumes with different textures and flavours that work well in this form.  Today's recipe uses one of my favourites - white navy beans, which are really creamy and mild tasting.  I also like them because they blend very easily, which means that the hummus-making process is faster. 

Usually, hummus gets its tangy taste from lemon juice, but I have recently discovered that navy beans also pair amazingly with lime!

Lime Navy Hummus


Ingredients:

Navy beans - 2 cups boiled
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Lemon juice - 2.5 tablespoons*
Tahini - 3.5 tablespoons
Canola oil - 3 tablespoons
White vinegar - 1 teaspoon
Garlic - 2 cloves**
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon

Instructions:

Blend all ingredients at high speed in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.  Taste and adjust flavours as desired, and add water 1 teaspoon at a time as needed to facilitate blending.  Serve with raw veggies, pita wedges or crackers, or.. almost anything! (if you're like me)


Notes:
* Since I only had a couple of limes in the house, I decided to use a little lemon juice as well, however I think this would also be good if you substituted another lime for the lemon juice.

** I decided to add two cloves of garlic to this hummus, which made it slightly more garlicky than I would normally make it, since I wanted a little extra flavour for the dish I will be using it in (coming soon!).  If you like your hummus milder, I recommend starting with one clove, or else roasting the garlic to make the flavour more gentle.  I also recommend adding seasonings such as lemon juice and salt gradually, and tasting as you go until your hummus is just right for you! 


I hope you enjoy the hummus! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment