Friday 12 September 2014

Sweet and Tangy Watermelon Salad

This week, my sister and I went to another monthly vegan potluck!  I've been going for several months now, and it has always been fun to see and taste the different recipes that people contribute, to try out new recipes, and to have fun conversations.  This week had a great turnout of people, and the food was amazing! 



One of the two tables of delicious vegan foods!
 
 
So many yummy things!  Some of the highlights: dehydrated mango slices (left), soba noodle and edamame salad (in the middle), vegetable curry (top centre), and sweet potato hempseed muffins (not shown).

My sister and I had had a very busy few days - she just moving into the apartment the day before, and I preparing for a new semester with seminars and a TAship as well as my usual research - but we had just enough time to collaborate to make this bright and flavourful watermelon salad!

 
 

Sweet and Tangy Watermelon Salad


Ingredients:

Watermelon - about 1/2 of a melon (we used a sugarbaby melon)
Green grapes - about 1 cup
Cucumber - 1 large
Lemon juice - 3-4 tablespoons
Salt and Pepper - to taste
Basil - 1/4 cup

Instructions:

Chop watermelon into small cubes, removing seeds if necessary/desired.  (our melon had a lot of seeds, but we cut off the seeded portions to eat later)  Put into a large serving bowl.
Slice grapes in halves if desired (we didn't have time, so we left ours whole, which was also fine!), and chop cucumber into chunks and add both to the bowl.
Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste, and mix well. 
Slice basil into shreds and sprinkle on top of the salad, mixing gently to combine.  Serve and enjoy!


With the start of a new school year, I may not have time to post as regularly as I did during the summer (as you may have already noticed), but I hope to share more recipes with you soon!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment